St. Joseph Cathedral serves as the Mother Church of the Diocese of Columbus and is dedicated to serving the Bishop and the world as a beacon of light in all liturgical dimensions. The church was founded in 1866 and has demonstrated its generosity by donating nearly $37,000 to Father Fitzgerald to support his new project, which would benefit around two-hundred-fifty individuals. The Gothic-style St. Joseph Cathedral Parish building was constructed using stone from Licking and Fairfield Counties quarries. While the cathedral's interior walls have a sandstone finish, the groined arches of the ceiling are made of painted plaster to match the appearance of the sandstone walls. An elevator is available at the first door on the west side of the cathedral to assist those who may have difficulty ascending the steps at the front entrance. The St. Joseph Cathedral Parish's stonework features an ashlar finish with yellow stone walls that resemble the final product.